I was going to spend my evening writing a post explaining my opinions on a political issue that makes me very angry, but I decided instead to spend the evening having some fun by pooling together a few of the things that make me happy and help me get through my day. Because clearly, the constant turmoil of our political situation keeps me in a pretty angry state most of the time…and sometimes it makes me hangry. Oh, and don’t worry. I’m sure I’ll charm the pants off you with my political rant in a later post.
But for now, here are five things that make me happy:
- The artist Pogo. He makes songs out of autotuned clips from your favorite movies. It’s amazing, and they’re great songs to write to. I’m listening to him right now. In fact, they’re great songs for every occasion: House party, chill get together, running, shopping, driving, breaking out of prison…you know, all those necessary music-accompanying tasks.
- The website Padmapper. They’re tagline is “Making apartment hunting suck less.” And they really do. They really do. On padmapper, you’re able to search apartments in the city/location of your choice according to whatever criteria you have: # of bedrooms, bathrooms, price range, etc. The site pulls together listings from a number of other housing sites, including craigslists, rent.com, and (if you live in LA, Westside Rentals).
- The photo editor Pixlr. I have photoshop and sometimes I still choose to use this free online photo editor instead. For a non-techy like me, it’s a user-friendly web application that allows you to edit photos in three different applications: A full editor (similar to photoshop, but on a smaller scale), a moderate editor with pre-set filters (think a cross between photoshop and instagram), and a filter editor (similar to instagram).
- F.lux is an app that adjusts the color of your computer and/or phone/tablet screen to act more like natural sunlight, so that if–like me–you are up late browsing the interwebs, your brain doesn’t get confused and think it’s still daylight out. That way, it’s easier to fall asleep and stuff. Just read about it.
- Tea Tree Oil: I have pretty oily skin, but I’m also really self conscious not only about the chemicals I’m putting on my skin, but also about the cost of said chemicals (gotta stay practical here). So, about two years ago, I decided that using bar soap instead of a bottled gel would not only be more natural (if I went with one that had natural ingredients) it would also be cheaper. And then I found tea tree oil, and my life was made. Tea tree oil (and black charcoal as well) are great skin cleansers, and a bar of soap lasts me three times as long as a bottle of shower gel, and is way cheaper than a facial cleanser. Yay for poor people solutions!
And that’s it. Nothing else in the world makes me happy. JK, a lot of things make me happy but this is a short list to remind myself that there are many, many positive things in this world. I hope you’ve discovered something you think is awesome from this list, too, but if you haven’t, I hope you at least take away the idea to start making your own list. It’s good to have a list of positives to refer to when you’re down. I know it helps remind me that there are still things to appreciate about this life, and technology, and people.